Skip to content

Darkroom Diary 12/19/2022 – My First Wild Horse Print on Ilford WT From an XP2 Negative

12/19/2022

In today’s video, I share my first test print on Ilford WT FB Glossy paper using my new Ilford XP2 C-41 developed negatives.

I made some straight prints from the XP2 negs today on Ilford WT FB Glossy developed in standard Ilford Multigrade developer, and the prints look great. This was a key validation today because I needed to know that I can trust XP2, not only from a variable exposure perspective, but that I can make good prints from the negatives in the darkroom.

With XP2’s ability to allow me to rate each from anywhere between EI 100 and EI 800, this is a game changer for my wild horse photography. I always work in challenging and often changing lighting conditions, and knowing I can use one film and one simple developer is a big deal to me. If I get the exposures wrong in the field, nothing else matters.

Using fast and glass, i.e., F2.8 and F4, makes all the difference in the world because I can get clean and sharp exposures in lower light conditions. It is terribly expensive to shoot F4 and faster glass, but the alternative is to miss quality opportunities. I buy older versions of lenses because the newer electronic shutters (E) don’t work on my F5 and F6 film cameras anyway. So, instead of paying $15k for the latest and greatest 600 F4, I use the older and heavier G ED VR for a fraction of the price, and the lens works as it should on my film cameras. My most used lens is the 600 F4 G ED VR version. I also use the 400mm F2.8 G ED VR and the 80-200mm F2.8 D ED. I got all 3 of these lenses for less than 1/2 the cost a single lens brand new.

Even if I could afford the latest and greatest versions of these lenses, they wouldn’t work on my film cameras because of the E shutters. Technically, they would work wide open but not allow me to change the apertures, which I do frequently based on the lighting and scenario.

Back to the topic of making the prints today…

The Heiland controller even has a program for XP2 and different ASA rating, groups. Using this and the paper profile for Ilford FB WT, I can make a technically good print on the first exposure without the need to do any test strips.

Based on density and suspected dry-down, I picked an exposure time of about 15% less than the controller suggested after reviewing the first test print. I made that print and selenium toned at 1:25 for 5 minutes and think this will be about right. I will be able to make a final call once I see the print fully dried down tomorrow.

I also did something interesting. I added 5g of sodium hydroxide to the IMG developer and stirred it on the magnetic stirrer for 5 minutes until use. It created a very rich print but was a little too dark and would be even darker with KRST. I will take this print and sepia-tone it, focus on targeting the highlights with sepia and then tone the darker tones with KRST. More to follow on this, but it looks encouraging, and I will have a separate article and video on this.

I kept one print untoned for reference and one print that was KRST 1:25 (5 min).

It was a good day, and I look forward to the next steps.

I share my latest work in the darkroom with you in the Darkroom Diary on my YouTube Channel. If you are interested in coming behind the scenes with me as I work, this is the place for you.

If you are a photographer or interested in learning about analog photography, we have an Analog Photography Membership Community that is the only community of its kind where you can learn and explore analog photography in depth. I also have an extensive training library of video workshops and guidebooks if you prefer to download the videos and books for offline use.